Sunday, August 22, 2010

Looooooong week

Wow. What a whirlwind of a week it has been! I had orientation all day Tuesday and Wednesday. It was kind of overwhelming - we were given so much information and had to sit a lot and listen a lot. You know, that information that kind of makes sense but you have to/need to hear it anyway? That's what orientation consisted of. It wasn't too bad.

So then came Thursday - the first day of classes. Roomie and I biked to school and arrived way too early to save ourselves some good seats and we were successful. I made it through 3 classes from 8:00 to 12:00 pm in the same seat, in the same room. That's going to be challenging. Luckily, I have coffee to help me endure that stretch of time. It's not too bad, since it's pharmacy-related and more specific material than what you're used to in undergrad courses. Our first professor emphasized that we are now professionals and that he would treat us as real pharmacists, that he would always address us as "Ms. Smith" or "Mr. Jones," and that we should never say "I am just a pharmacist," because we are trained professionals who deserve respect. I think he is going to be a great professor. He is also teaching our compounding lab. I had Introduction to Pharmacy Practice, Microbiology/Immunology, and Pharmaceutics. On Friday, I had Biochemisty/Biotechnology I and Clinical Applications I. The biochem professor jumped right in to some material (most of the professors did) that just threw us all off! It was crazy. I think that course will be challenging for me, but I am up for it! Rite Aid gave us free pizza and drinks and cake for lunch on Thursday so we ate that and then headed home. I went back to school a little later to pick up my course handouts. Then I went back and took a shower and got ready to head to the Back to School party. One of the student organizations hosted the party at some sort of shelter on Folly Beach. It was out in the open and a lot of fun, but terribly hot and humid (as it is most of the time in Charleston). There were grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and drinks and music. It was a lot of fun to mingle with our classmates as well as some of the older pharmacy students. There was a DJ upstairs and so a lot of people danced (me included). All around it was a great time. We then went home and went straight to bed.

We, the P1s, had to be at school at 8 AM on Friday, dressed in our white coats and lab attire, which basically means business casual and closed-toe shoes. We then had to sit through a presentation discussing what we would be covering in lab and what the expectations our. Then the community lab professors (we will have that lab next semester) came in and did a presentation about how to counsel patients and how that would be integrated into our lab this semester. We got out early and had some time to kill before class at eleven, so we went down to the cafeteria in the hospital to get some food. I got some Starbucks and some chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A. We then went back to our room and had classes - Pharmaceutics and Biochem. We got out around 2 and I darted home because I just wanted to rest for a bit. I was at home and it started raining horribly so Roomie and I hung out for a while before the P1/P2 party started. The roads flooded very quickly. I actually saw a small car stuck in water that was all the way up to the trunk. Crazy, right? We eventually made it to the party and a lot of our classmates showed up. It was nice to have the small parties to break the ice and see each other outside of a classroom setting. My boyfriend came into town for the weekend, so we hung out with some of his friends for a little bit, and then we met up with some of my pharmacy school friends for a while. We all had a great time together.

I slept in late Saturday morning. I was exhausted from the whole week so I didn't feel guilty at all sleeping. My boyfriend and I hung out all day, watched the Braves, ate supper in Mt. Pleasant, and did a teeny bit of shopping. I have missed him a lot and it was so wonderful to spend time with him and hold his hand! We met up with some of his friends later and then ended up hanging out with a couple of my friends from school. It was fun to just hang out and chat.

I spent most of the day Sunday hanging out with my boyfriend. We watched the Braves kill the Cubs. When it was time for him to leave, we both cried! True story! This is our first go at a long-distance relationship and it is not easy. Thank goodness we have Skype and can "see" each other regularly.

Well, another week ahead, starting with class at 8am tomorrow morning. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment