Sunday, August 1, 2010

I think I'll take a walk to the Battery....

Welcome to my new(est) blog!

I am now officially moved in and living in Charleston, South Carolina. If you know me at all, you know that I love Charleston and have always dreamed of living here. And now my dream is coming true! I have loved this city since I was a kid, and have only grown to love it even more over the years. My new place of residence is only a couple of blocks away from the water: I can walk outside and walk 100 feet to the street and see the water! I can't believe that this has really happened to me. God has been so wonderful! Not only has he made my dream of living in Charleston come true, but I am downtown near school AND close to one of my favorite places in all of Charleston and its surrounding areas - the Battery!!!

Tonight after I had run a couple of errands and had gotten settled in a bit, I decided to go for a walk. I walked along the water, trying to breathe as much of the cool ocean breeze in as possible! Even at 8pm, it is hot and very humid. I walked for half an hour or so, looking at each home that I could lay my eyes on. I have walked the streets of Charleston many times on family vacations admiring the old homes, but this time, I feel as if I am seeing Charleston with new eyes. No longer am I a tourist from the Upstate coming to enjoy a week of vacation, or a college kid visiting a friend for the weekend. I am now living in Charleston. I have been here less than 48 hours, but I feel as if it is mine already, as if it always has been. Instead of being a tourist standing along the Battery watching the locals walk and run by, I am now the local watching the tourists, watching their eyes as they walk the Battery for the first time, see Fort Sumter, watch their kids play on the cannons, or roam the streets with their big cameras around their necks. I belong here, and I feel it.

This day came so quickly. Where did the summer go? It seems like just a week or two ago I was boarding a plane to go to Colombia, or loading the car to go to church camp for two weeks, hanging out at the beach with dad and mom and sissy, or taking road trips with Clarke. This summer has been one full of joy and laughter and relaxation – from weddings to camps to the beach to international travel, I couldn’t have asked for anything better.

This weekend has been bittersweet – bitter because I had to say goodbye to my family, but sweet because my dream of living in Charleston has come true. I miss my mom and dad and sissy and my boyfriend and my friends back home very much, but I know that I am where God wants me to be. I know that they are just a phone call (or a Skype call) away. I still don't think that it has sunk in that I will be living here for the next few years (and maybe longer!!!).

I have no specific plans for the blog. I will post about what happens day-to-day as I begin school in a couple of weeks, and I am sure that a lot of what I write about will have to do with this wondrous city in which I now live! Check back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment