Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Good day

I went to bed late last night so I slept in late today - 9:30 am! Ahh!!! I slept GREAT though, in spite of how warm it is at night in my room. I decided to go to the beach a little earlier than I have been going and was out the door by 11:45. I was craving Zaxby's and really didn't have anything at home to eat for lunch so that was an easy decision. I got some and ate it in the parking lot, and I must say that it was one of the best Big Zax Snacks I have ever had! I then went in the Piggly Wiggly gas station, and after waiting in line for almost ten minutes behind locals buying and scratching lottery tickets and buying cigarettes, it was my turn! I got a liter of Aquafina water (one of my favorite bottled water brands) and drank the whole thing during my time at the beach. I went to the same beach I've been going to (I only chose that one today because Zaxby's was right on the way to it) and went the same direction, looking for a parking spot in the same area I've been parking it. But I guess everyone decided to get my spots today and I couldn't find anywhere to park! So I drove a completely different part of the beach and had no problem finding a spot to park. In fact, it wasn't crowded at all! It was so nice. The closest people were 50 yards away! Then a cute little family with a year-old baby girl came out to the beach. She was completely naked and then the mother  (probably 26 or so) put the swim bottoms on the little girl and she took off toward the water! The mom had to chase her. It was so cute! And then she tried to chase the birds flying and walking around and she would wave at them. It made me laugh. I stayed out there for a couple of hours and read most of the time. It was very enjoyable. I then headed back for my place.

I showered and got ready with intentions of running some errands. I wasn't going to, but I stopped at a Maxx/Marshalls and only came out with one (well, two) things. I found some coffee mugs I liked with polka dots (I only have one mug and I wanted another one) and the pack of two was $7. Not a bad deal, but I wasn't sold. So I went to my favorite section of the store - the CLEARANCE section - and found the same mugs with RED polka dots (TO MATCH MY KITCHEN!!!!!) for only $3!!! Thank you Lord!

I then continued on to the mall/Target. I wasn't really impressed by anything at the mall. So I went on in to Target with a few things I needed, including lots of groceries! I spent a while in that section and got my other things too. When I left the store, I realized that I was parked so far away! So I began the trek to my car. I was about halfway there when my buggy got stuck on something on the sidewalk! It was a nightmare! It wouldn't budge. I still have no clue what happened. I saw two gentlemen in their 30s or so sitting outside of a restaurant in the mall just hanging out, so I walked over and explained the situation and asked if they would watch my buggy till I got back with the car. They agreed, so I hurried and made it back, and when I arrived, they were standing with the buggy and then proceeded to put all of my stuff in my car! Talk about some southern hospitality! I then offered to give them some money to pay for their food or whatever, but they refused and asked that I instead check out their new restaurant opening in the mall later this week. They were extremely nice and helpful!

I then drove home and unpacked and put away the groceries and decided to go for a bike ride to the Battery!!! I pulled over to a bench and leaned my bike on the ground, and just after I sat down, a minivan pulled up right in front of the bench and an older couple got out. They came straight to the bench I was at because it was closest to them and easier for them to sit down. They asked if I would mind some company, and of course I said that I wouldn't mind at all! They sat down and then pulled out a bottle of wine and two wine glasses and drank a whole bottle of wine (open container?). We chatted - Faye, Bill, and I - and I learned that they were from Mount Pleasant (her husband died three years ago and I think Bill is her boyfriend), she liked to run on Sullivan's Island, she is Methodist and is very involved in her church, she has a grandson starting Clemson in a week, and she just read South of Broad by Pat Conroy. It was a pleasant conversation. The sunset was gorgeous (so many colors!), the palm trees lining the street, and the ocean breeze....I thought I had died and gone to heaven. No, seriously. It was such an incredible experience.

I had an incredible day. Yesterday I talked about how I missed home so much, and today I think that the Lord showed me that He hasn't forgotten about me and that He is going to take care of me while I'm here and give me so many amazing unbelievable experiences.

I asked my dad earlier today why I was having such a hard time being alone and not having anything to do, and he gave me such an awesome answer:

"It's a lesson. Your feelings define the value of what you are about to achieve."

Wow! What a smart dad I have. I just have to trust that God is going to do great things and appreciate the calmness of life right now in these last few days before school starts.

Peace and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment