Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Review: Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl


I bought this book one day this semester during retail therapy. It was on one of the center displays at Barnes and Noble, and the cover is what really caught my eye! I saw the duck boots and the heels and thought it looked like something I would like. I read the back and was sold!

This book is a true story about a woman and her family who move from the suburbs of New Jersey to the sticks in Virginia to live on a farm. If you have ever lived in the sticks or been or worked on a farm, you will relate to and understand this book. She has a tough time changing from her Manolo's and pencil skirts to overalls and mud boots, and the 'city girl stuck in a farm girl's body' makes for interesting reading! I found her writing style very entertaining. She formerly worked as a marketing director for Family Circle magazine, so her writing is witty and a bit sarcastic at times, which I loved.

If you are looking for a book with a defined plot, this may not be the best choice. To me, it was more of a memoir than a novel with a plot. Each chapter details a different story or experience that the author has, and I laughed my way through most of them. If you're looking for something light-hearted and funny, pick this one up and give it a try. She has a sequel of sorts scheduled to be released in 2011.

I give the book an A! Has anyone else read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment